Prep 22 mins
Cook 12 mins
I just love cooking my fresh shrimp in the hint left from the bacon in this recipe. Makes for a lovely lunch or light dinner! From Cooking Light with one minor change....my non-stick skillet states not to use cooking spray, so I've eliminated that and left a bit of oil to cook with. If you have another type of skillet, feel free to wipe the skillet and spray with oil before cooking the shrimp.....personally I prefer to leave a bit of that bacon flavor!
- 4 slices bacon, center cut
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (can buy from fish market already peeled and deveined to reduce prep time!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 (10 ounce) package romaine lettuce, salad
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup carrot, shredded (about 2 carrots)
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed (may use fresh when in season)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, cut into 8 wedges
- Cook the bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan; cut in half crosswise. Remove all put a thin coating of the bacon grease. Increase the heat to medium-high. Sprinkle the shrimp with paprika and pepper. Add the shrimp to the pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done (C- shaped, not O shaped -- O shaped is overcooked and tough!) Sprinkle with 1/8 tsp salt; toss to coat.
- While the shrimp cooks, combine the remaining 1/8 tsp salt, juice, oil, and mustard in a large bowl, stirring with a wisk. Add the lettuce; toss to coat.
- Arrange about 1 1/2 cups lettuce mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with about 6 shrimp, 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup carrot, 1/4 cup corn, 2 avocado wedges, and 2 bacon pieces. Enjoy!
I adore salads and this one is excellent! I added some sliced black olives and hard-boiled egg. A little dollop of ranch dressing on each serving and it was perfect! Thanks for sharing, breezer. Definitely a keeper! ***Made for Spring PAC 2013***
Fantastic recipe! I knew I would love this because I adore each of these ingredients. Together, it made for a fabulous and healthy dinner salad. I loved cooking the shrimp in just a bit of the bacon fat. It gave the shrimp even more flavor. The only tweek I'll do next time, is to add some red pepper flakes to the shrimp. Thanks for posting this lovely recipe. It was perfect for a summer weeknight! Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.