Recipe by johnniZanni
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: This recipe is a kind of surf and turf, blending the earthiness of potatoes with the ocean tang of shrimp. It is adapted from elements of shrimp croquettes of Fannie Farmer, with a Red Pepper sauce borrowed from Jacques Pepin, modified by adding sun dried tomatoes.
- 1 lb shrimp, frozen and peeled
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons ghee
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk, heated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 red bell peppers
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato soaking liquid
- 1⁄4 cup reserved marinade
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1 tablespoon ghee
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the sun dried tomatoes in a bowl with 1 cup of hot water. Let them sit for 30 minutes to plump and soften.
- Zest and juice the lemons and finely chop the cilantro.
- Cut the frozen shrimp into ½ inch pieces. Combine in a bowl with lemon juice, zest and cilantro. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a bowl of hot water to thaw while marinating. Stir occasionally.
- Over a hot stove burner roast the red bell peppers until the skins are blackened. Wrap in plastic wrap and let cool.
- To make the cream sauce, melt the butter or ghee in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Add the flour and stir until flour is cooked, but not brown, about 2 minutes. Add the hot milk, stirring constantly.Bring the cream sauce to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste and grate nutmeg into sauce. Simmer for 2 -3 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Thoroughly drain the shrimp and reserve the marinade. Combine the Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onions, the marinated shrimp, salt, cayenne pepper, and cream sauce. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel the peppers and remove the seeds and ribs. Roughly chop the peppers and the tomatoes and put in a food processor. Process until smooth. Add the liquid the tomatoes were soaked in along with ¼ cup of the reserved marinade and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Let boil to thicken the sauce. Remove from heat and add the butter. Swirl to melt and incorporate. Adjust seasoning to taste. Keep warm until needed for service.
- Oil an 8" X 12" casserole and fill with the shrimp and potato mixture. Coat with Panko bread crumbs.
- Bake on the middle rack at 350°F for 45 minutes. Broil for 3 minutes to toast bread crumbs. Serve on a warm platter in a ring of Roasted Red Pepper/Sundried Tomato Sauce. Garnish with a few leaves of cilantro.