Shrimp and Brown Rice Wontons
- 20 square wonton wrappers
- 12 ounces shrimp, veins removed
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, chopped
- 3 tablespoons carrots, minced, blanched
- 3 tablespoons celery, minced, blanched
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice, completely cooked
- 2 bunches scallions, green only
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 tablespoons neutral-flavored vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- First, make scallion oil: Blanch scallions briefly in boiling water. Then place scallions and vinegar into a blender and puree until very smooth. Add the oil while the blender is running to form an emulsion. Season to taste with salt.
- Next, prepare filling: Place shrimp, oil, sugar, parsley, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper into food processor and quickly pulse to make a coarse and chunky paste. Remove puree, put cooked rice into processor, and quickly puree just to break up the grains. Combine the rice, shrimp, and diced vegetables and mix.
- Fill the wonton wrappers with shrimp filling as directed on wonton package. (If making ahead, transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment; refrigerate or freeze until ready to cook.)
- To cook wontons, heat a small amount of oil in large sauté pan and cook filled wontons lightly golden brown. Turn on side; add just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover; steam until centers are cooked, 4-5 minutes.
- To serve, top each wonton with scallion oil and enjoy!