Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a light, refreshing salad I created to cope with the summer heat. I really like the combination of tart grapefruit with buttery avocado and crunchy almonds. The shrimp adds enough protein for this to be considered a meal. Since it's summer, I tossed the shrimp on the grill for an added smoky flavor, but shrimp sautéed in a little olive oil would be just as delicious. The dressing is very light and just enough to tie the whole salad together. My grapefruit was fairly sweet, but if yours are too tart, you can always add a little honey to the dressing.
- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 ruby grapefruits
- 1⁄4 cup ruby red grapefruit juice (reserved from cutting fruit segments)
- 1 lime
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 avocados
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 6 ounces Baby Spinach
- Brush shrimp with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and grill on medium high heat about 1 minute on each side or until cooked through.
- Cut avocado into slices and toss in a bowl with the juice from ½ a lime.
- Add slivered almonds to a dry pan and toast on medium high heat until slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Cut the grapefruits into segments, reserving the juice. You should get about ¼ cup of juice from two grapefruits. Set the fruit segments aside and combine the grapefruit juice, juice from ½ a lime, and ginger in a small bowl. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of olive oil while whisking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the spinach and grapefruit segments with the dressing.
- Top the salad with shrimp, avocado slices and toasted almonds.