Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I modified Shredded Barbecue Chicken & came up with this version! I love the sweet & spicy taste, plus the simmering time makes the house smell delicious!
- 8 ounces chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup (I use organic)
- 1 teaspoon Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 whole grain buns, toasted
- In a medium sized skillet, cook chicken until no longer pink.
- Shred with 2 plastic forks.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a medium saucepean; add chicken.
- Heat on medium, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover & simmer for 50-55 minutes, stirring occassionally, until chicken has absorbed most of the sauce.
- Careful not to overcook or chicken might become too dry!
- Serve on toasted buns.
Good taste and very easy to make. Thanks for a great recipe!!!
Loved the taste of this. Made for freezer tag. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't add the red pepper flakes. I also tripled the recipe. We ate some when I first cooked it and froze the rest. When I was ready to eat again, I pulled the mixture and let it thaw in the fridge. I then heated in the microwave and served. It was even better warmed up and the flavors really went through the chicken. Very good chicken bbq.
This turned out sweet and delicious! I loved it and will definitely make this recipe again! I modified the recipe slightly by shredding pre-cooked leftovers from a chicken I roasted. I also substituted regular brown sugar for Splenda and chili powder for the red pepper flakes. Instead of using all ketchup I used half ketchup (Heinz) and half barbeque sauce (Cattlemen's Master's Reserve Memphis Sweet BBQ Sauce).