Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a classic delicious Libyan soup. I found the recipe online while specifically looking for North-African recipes.
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 500 g stewing lamb, chopped
- 400 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 44.37 ml tomato puree
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 2.46 ml chili powder
- 1000.0 ml water
- 14.79 ml dried mint
- 5 ml lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry the onions for a few minutes until tender. Add the lamb, chickpeas, tomato puree, spices and salt, and cook for a few minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Cover the mixture with water, stir, then simmer with the lid on for 30-45 minutes or until the lamb is cooked. Add extra water if required and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Stir in the crushed mint about 10 minutes before the end, then squeeze in the lemon-juice just before serving. Serves 4-6.
HI<br/> This is an excellent recipe i have tasted it in Libyan Restaurant in Tripoli, Libya. I have searched about this recipe in google finally i found it in food.com. <br/> I did SHORBA LIBYA and it came out very very well.... I love it... Hope you all tooooo....