Recipe by Miss Annie in Indy
This is an inspiration from Sugarpea and her recipe: Bowtie Pasta with Broccoli and Broccoli sauce. If you're trying to loose weight, are on a low carb diet or just trying to eat healthier check out House Foods Shirataki noodles. What a great alternative to pasta. It's quick to fix, so good for you and tastes GREAT! UPDATE: I made a couple of modifications to this recipe to make a LOT less fat and more healthy thanks to my reviewer.
Top Review by ArkhamA
Really lovely recipe! Glad to see shirataki noodles used in a non asian dish. Like another reviewer said, the sauce's green color is a little off putting, but it taste great so no complaints here!
- 1 lb broccoli
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup nonfat chicken broth
- 8 ounces shirataki noodles
- 1⁄2 cup onion (thick diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese (or fat free)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the broccoli buds into small florets, leaving as short a stem as possible and set aside.
- Cut the remaining broccoli stems into 1/2" pieces; steam the broccoli pieces, the diced onion and the garlic, in 1 cup of lightly salted water for 10 minutes or until very soft.
- Meanwhile, place shirataki noodles in a colander, rinse in water thorourghly and drain. At this point I use my kitchen scissors to cut the noodles into bite sized pieces.
- Place the chicken broth, reserved florets and shirataki noodles into a small pot and steam or boil 4 to 5 minutes, retaining the bright green color and a bit of crunch; drain liquid and reserve.
- In a food processor, puree the cooked broccoli, onion and garlic until very smooth, adding a bit of the reserved pasta broth if needed to make a smooth sauce; add feta cheese, pulse until melted; add salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour warm sauce over the shirataki noodles & broccoli and stir gently to combine; plate and sprinkle with extra feta cheese if desired.