Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 5 mins
Hearty brown bread goes great with steaks & makes wonderful sandwiches! Note: Time includes rising
- The night before: Pour beer into mug, cover with paper towel, and let sit out on counter overnight.
- Next day: Dissolve yeast in warm water in mixing bowl. Mix in honey.
- Add both flours & salt, and stir to mix. Stir in oil and slowly add beer. Mix well. Place dough on floured work surface and knead 15 minutes. (Dust with flour if dough is too sticky).
- Place lightly oiled bowl & cover. Let rise to double in size.
- Punch down and let rest 5 minutes.
- Shape dough into four oval shaped loaves. Place loaves on lightly oiled cookie sheet. Score with a knife (I usually make 2 diagonally placed scored a couple of inches apart.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cover loosely with saran wrap and allow to double in size again.
- Bake 30 minutes.
The bread is great. Here's the recipe for the Honey Butter that is served with it. Saltgrass Steakhouse Honey Butter 1 Stick Butter (softened) 2 Tbsp. Condensed Milk 1/4 C + 1 Tbsp. Honey In small food processor or blender whip butter, milk, and honey. You must whip the ingredients until they lighten in color and turn a light cream color. Shape with melon ball. Cover and refrigerate until served. You may also omit the honey and serve with your favorite bread or rolls.
This Bread is WONDERFUL, We have a local steak house here in San Antonio that offers this bread, but this recipe makes it even better. My son likes his with butter, my wife and I love it with honey. Will be making it often.