Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Squash with an exciting tex-mex flavor. This recipe is very versatile-use zucchini, yellow, or calabacita squash, RoTel tomatoes, Jack cheese or add mushrooms, kernel corn, and season to taste-esp the salt-a lot will depend on the bacon you use. I also like to add cumin, mexican oregano, and minced garlic or garlic powder. Use fresh tomatoes if you wish-cherry tomatoes are great! Also, this tastes great w/o the cheese, too. I found this recipe in a book my Grandmother gave me, compiled by Ladies Auxiliary of the Medina Lake Volunteer Fire Department, 1978. Enjoy!
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- In large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Drain fat but reserve 1-2 Tablespoons in pan.
- Add squash, onion, and bell pepper and saute 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add seasonings and cook gently until liquid is thick, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and cover to allow cheese to melt. (or place in oven until cheese melts.).