Recipe by SillyWizard
I came up with this recipe in an attempt to match one of my favorite meals with my husband's refusal to eat anything "green" (e.g., healthy!) in a Shepherd's Pie. This is now one of his favorite meals - I hope you enjoy it.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sweet basil leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) jar beef gravy
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 packages instant garlic cheddar mashed potatoes
- milk and butter for instant mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Over medium-high heat, saute the beef, onion, garlic, thyme, basil, salt and pepper until the beef is no longer pink and the onions are translucent.
- Add the gravy to the beef/onion mixture and stir well. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered.
- In a separate saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms until the butter is almost absorbed.
- Add the wine and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushroom mixture (with wine) to the beef mixture and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the mashed potatoes according to directions. Add enough milk so they are spreadable.
- Spread the beef and mushroom mixture in a casserole dish and top with the mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the mashed potatoes and bake uncovered until the cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Note: To reheat, cover with aluminum foil and place in a 350 oven for one hour. Those danged mashed potatoes take forever to heat through!