Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen Show: Paula's Party -> Episode: Paula to the Rescue
Make and share this Shepherd's Pie from Leftover Beef Roast and Mashed Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 14 tablespoons butter, divided (1 stick plus 3/4 stick)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs leftover pot roast, cubed
- black pepper
- 8 -10 medium new potatoes
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups instant biscuit mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups niblet corn or 1 1⁄2 cups mixed vegetables, prepared according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pot Roast Layer:.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter. Add pot roast and cook until browned. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Potato Layer:.
- Peel and slice potatoes 1/4-inch thick. Place in a saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain potatoes and transfer to a mixing bowl. Whip potatoes with an electric mixer, mixing until moderately smooth. Don't over beat them; a few lumps are nice. Add 1/2 cup heated milk, 1 stick butter, and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Whip again until mixed. Adjust thickness by adding more milk, if desired.
- Biscuit Layer:.
- Combine biscuit mix and 1 1/2 cups of milk. The mix should be thinner than that of normal biscuit mix but not runny.
- Spray a 9x9x2-inch pan (or any similar casserole dish) with cooking spray. Layer mashed potatoes halfway up the sides of the dish. Next, spread a layer of corn or mixed vegetables on top of the potatoes. Then add the layer of pot roast and onions with gravy. Pour the biscuit mix over the meat. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over top. Bake for approximately 35 to 45 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.