1/3 Photos of Shepherd's Pie
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
Meat and potatoes in a pan. Is there any better way to please a man?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled,diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons milk (approximate)
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- paprika (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- 3Drain potatoes and mash
- 4add 2 tbsp. of the butter and enough milk to have a firm but not runny consistency.
- 5Season potatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Heat 1 tbsp. butter in saute pan; add onion, and saute for 5 minutes.
- 7Add ground beef, and cook until beef is lightly browned; drain off any excess fat.
- 8Add carrots and mushrooms to beef and cook until tender, about 10 minutes, adding 1-2 tbsp. water to keep beef from drying out, as needed.
- 9Add Worcestershire sauce.
- 10Stir together and add beef broth and cornstarch; bring all to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 11Add nutmeg.
- 12Remove from heat.
- 13Place meat mixture into ovenproof casserole dish; cover with mashed potatoes.
- 14Sprinkle with paprika if you like.
- 15Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes are light golden.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.4
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 86.4 mg
- Sodium 534.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 27.2 g