Recipe is from Southern Living and obtained in a search for recipes for shepherd's pie... this one looked the best to me, so I tried it. It is GREAT and a regular request by the kids, especially my SIL. (Yes, yes, I know... shepherd's pie has lamb and cottage pie has beef.. but SL named this recipe, not me).
- 1 (22 ounce) package frozen mashed potatoes (or make your own, I do)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- If you're making your own, prepare mashed potatoes; set aside.
- Brown beef and onion in lg skillet over med-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring til beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain and return to skillet.
- Add carrots and peas; stir in flour, 1 t salt, 1/4 t pepper,& tomato paste.
- Add broth, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Spoon mixture into lightly greased 7x11” baking dish.
- Stir together mashed potatoes, egg, and remaining 1 t salt and 1/4 t pepper; spoon over beef mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes; top w/ grated cheddar and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- NOTE: I use condensed beef broth for a beefier/heartier flavor. ;).