1/5 Photos of Shepherd's Pie
Recipe is from Southern Living and obtained in a search for recipes for shepherd's pie... this one looked the best to me, so I tried it. It is GREAT and a regular request by the kids, especially my SIL. (Yes, yes, I know... shepherd's pie has lamb and cottage pie has beef.. but SL named this recipe, not me).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (22 ounce) package frozen mashed potatoes (or make your own, I do)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1If you're making your own, prepare mashed potatoes; set aside.
- 2Brown beef and onion in lg skillet over med-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring til beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain and return to skillet.
- 3Add carrots and peas; stir in flour, 1 t salt, 1/4 t pepper,& tomato paste.
- 4Add broth, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 5Spoon mixture into lightly greased 7x11” baking dish.
- 6Stir together mashed potatoes, egg, and remaining 1 t salt and 1/4 t pepper; spoon over beef mixture.
- 7Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes; top w/ grated cheddar and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- 8NOTE: I use condensed beef broth for a beefier/heartier flavor. ;).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.2
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 92.2 mg
- Sodium 1085.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen mashed potatoes