Recipe by Annie Michelle
Since I'm a native of Sheboygan, WI, where beer, brats and cheese are the traditional fare, I felt that I needed to create a dish that reminds me of home.
- 6 johnsonville stadium bratwursts
- 16 ounces beer (I use Budweiser.)
- 8 baby red potatoes
- 1 beef bouillon cube (or use packet from a package of beef ramon noodles)
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cream of onion soup
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice brats into bite-size pieces and place in a kettle.
- Pour beer over brats and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Cut potatoes into bite-size pieces and place inside slow cooker.
- Add just enough water to cover potatoes.
- Stir in beef seasoning packet.
- Stir in Cream of Onion soup.
- Cook until potatoes are tender. (This will take around 3 hours at the low setting.) Be sure to stir occasionally.
- When potatoes are tender, heat brats in beer to a rolling boil.
- Boil for 3 minutes while stirring.
- Pour about 3/4 cup of boiled beer into potato mixture. (This doesn't need to be measured nor exact. Add to gain the consistency that you desire.).
- Drain remaining beer from kettle and brown bratwurst pieces.
- Add cheese to potato mixture.
- Add browned brats to potato mixture.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Stir well and serve.