Recipe by Sharon the Rocket
This is an adaptation of Fresh Apple Pie from a really old Betty Crocker cookbook. I spiced it up at hubby's request by adding a shot glass of whiskey. Might be a neat idea to also add 1/2 cup raisins.
Top Review by BLUE ROSE
Thanks to a swap I am in with Sharon I chose to surprise my DH with this. For us I chose to cut this recipe by half and not put in the pastry pie. What can I say ~ We ate the whole Pie!
- pastry dough, for 9-inch pie
- 1 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 cups thinly sliced pared tart apples
- 1 1⁄2 fluid ounces whiskey (1 shotglass)
French Apple Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Pastry dough:.
- Mix flour, oil and salt until particles are pea size/.
- Sprinkle water in, mixing until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl. (If pastry seems too dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons oil - do NOT add extra water).
- Gather pastry into ball and flatten between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Roll pastry a bit larger than pie plate. Peel off top waxed paper, flip pastry into pie place and gently take off other waxed paper. Trim and complete pastry.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare pastry. Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir in apples. Pour whiskey over apple mixture and stir thoroughly. Turn into pastry-lined pie plate. Top with French Apple topping.
- Mix all ingredients until crumbly. Put on top of apple filling. Bake 50 minutes. Cover topping with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes of baking. Amazingly perfect served warm or cold.