Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From : http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/recipes/shakshuka/88976
- 30 g olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled & halved
- 1⁄2-1 chili, stemmed and deseeded, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 500 g ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
- 30 g tomato paste
- 10 g honey
- 1 teaspoon red wine or 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 20 g salad greens of choice such as radish greens, watercress, kale, Swiss chard or 20 g spinach, coarsley chopped
- 115 g feta cheese, cut into generous bite-sized cubes
- 4 -6 eggs
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled (whole)
- Place spices into TM bowl and grind on speed 10 for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and chop on speed 8 for 3 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add onion and chop on speed 5 for 3 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add olive oil and cook on 100° deg for 5 minutes on speed 1.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, and vinegar, and cook for 15 minutes on 100° deg speed 1, or until the sauce has thickened somewhat but is still loose enough so that when you shake the bowl it sloshes around.
- Stir in the chopped greens and cook on reverse and speed 1 for 5 minutes.
- If you want to finish the Shakshuka on the stovetop, place your your tomato sauce in a large frying pan and press the cubes of feta into the tomato sauce. With the back of a spoon, make 6 indentations in the sauce. Crack an egg into each indentation, then drag a spatula gently through the egg whites so it mingles a bit with the tomato sauce, being careful not to disturb the yolks.
- Turn the heat on the sauce to a gentle simmer, and cook for about 10 minutes, taking some of the tomato sauce and basting the egg whites from time-to-time. Cover, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until the eggs are cooked to your liking.