Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Chef Charles Phan's Slanted Door Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs filet mignon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil (for stir-frying)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup mirin rice wine
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons canola oil with the pepper, salt and sugar. Add the cubed filet mignon.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the stir-fry sauce and mix well.
- Divide the meat in two. (You will cook it in two batches.).
- Place a pan over high heat until hot. Add 4 tablespoons of canola oil, or enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Place about half the beef in the pan so that none of the pieces overlap. (Be careful - the oil may splatter.) Cook 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on each side for medium doneness.
- With the meat still in the pan, drain most of the oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon. Add half the garlic and stir. Add half the red and green onions and cook about 30 seconds. Add half the stir-fry sauce and cook 1 minute. Add half the butter and toss the ingredients in the pan until the butter is melted. Remove the beef and keep warm.
- Repeat with the second batch of meat.
- To Serve: Place the watercress in the center of a serving platter and spoon the beef over top.
- Combine the salt and pepper in a small bowl and squeeze the lime juice into it to create a dipping sauce. Serve immediately.
Instead of red onions, I chopped up some shallots because that was what we had in the kitchen. Made half of the recipe for two of my kids, and they ate it all up. So good.
Thank you for posting.
Yum! Will make this again.
All of the ingredients scared me at first, but once I had everything measured out it went very smoothly. I really enjoyed the stir fry sauce and this tasted just as good the next day, and the sauce tasted even better the next day re heated.