Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Elegant, quick, and EASY casserole that is good enough for company! A favorite of mine--I could eat this several times a week LOL! From my mother. Over the years, I have tweaked the original recipe to suit my tastes. Hope you like it as much as I do! (Note: you may add a dash or two of celery salt, or "Beau Monde" seasoning, to the soup mixture for extra 'ooomph', if you like, but it is excellent as written.)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 3⁄4 cup milk (3/4 soupcan full)
- 1 1⁄4 cups rice, cooked (measured dry before cooking)
- 2 cups frozen small cooked shrimp or 2 cups bay scallops or 2 cups other seafood, of your choice
- 10 ounces frozen baby peas (or peas and baby onions)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional) or 2 tablespoons dry vermouth (optional)
- 8 slices American cheese
- Mix soup and milk in saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Combine with cooked rice, seafood (cut seafood into bite-size pieces, if necessary), peas, onion, lemon zest and juice, and sherry.
- Turn into a buttered 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- remove from oven and top with slices of cheese; sprinkle with paprika.
- Return to oven for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven, and let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Helpful Tips: I like to put the onion in with the rice while the rice is cooking. Also, be sure to use the designated small-sized shrimp, or bay scallops or other bite-sized seafood in this dish---DO NOT use large or jumbo shrimp or sea scallops unless you cut them up--- as you want a morsel of yummy seafood in every bite!
Wonderful comfort food, DH said it was the best shrimp hes ever had ( praise indeed ) He also said it was slap yo Mamma good and he did LOL. I used 1 lb frozen uncooked shrimp ( thawed, shelled and lightly sauteed in butter ) subbed cream of chicken soup with a dash of celery salt and added half mayonnaise , half milk. This is definately going to be a regular in our house. Thanks for a great recipe.
good casserole thanks for the memories dee
We felt there was too much rice for the rest of the ingredients. would make this again but use less rice. Frenchy