Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a dark, dark chocolate cake from Serendipity restaurant in New York...served with two scoops of ice cream helps because it is sooo rich This is a super chocolate cake like the one served at Serendipity Restaurant in New York...serve with a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream to help with the overload of chocolate...
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 2 lbs packed light brown sugar
- 7 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lb unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 lb unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325* and butter the bottoms of 4 9-inch cake pans and line with parchment.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda. Cream the sugar and butter -- add eggs and vanilla to the butter mixture -- mix thoroughly. Add the dry ingredients in three parts -- alternating with the cold water -- mix completely -- Add the sour cream and melted chocolate. Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes -- cool the cakes in their pans for 15 minutes -- the cakes will sink to half their height -- Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Place chocolate in large mixing bowl. Heat the cream, sugar, and corn syrup just to boiling -- pour over the chopped chocolate -- slowly stir till smooth. Add vanilla and cool completely -- then add sour cream -- frost -- store covered at room temperature.