Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Another version of the famous soup. Prep time does not include time to prepare beans before cooking, so allow time for that.
- 1 lb dry navy beans, rinsed and picked over
- 10 cups water, divided
- 1 (6 ounce) ham hocks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, soak beans overnight in 6 cups of water (or bring to a boil, boil 3 minutes, remove from heat, and let stand, covered, for 1 hour).
- Add remaining 4 cups of water, the ham hock, bay leaf, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/4 hours or until beans are almost tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; cover; cook 20-30 minutes more or until beans are tender.
- Discard bay leaf before serving soup.