Recipe by Penni Less
This is a delicious and nutritious bread that is wonderful toasted, in sandwiches, etc. It was given to me by a male friend just when I was learning to bake bread. These were the first loaves that turned out well for me. I added the sesame oil and flax meal to the recipe.
Top Review by ProudMamaT
I followed the recipe except I didn't have the flax seed so, I used sunflower seeds instead. The dough was very wet and I had to add about 1 1/2 cups of additional flour. I agree with the other comment that it was a bit flat but, I think increasing the salt due to the extra flour would solve that problem. Other than that it was good. Nice and hearty. I think I will try it again with a few corrections.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of the warm water.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- (You can add a pinch of sugar to aid the yeast.) Combine flours, seeds, salt and flax meal.
- Pour remaining 2 cups of warm water, honey and oil in a large bowl.
- Add the yeast and then two cups of the flour/seed mixture.
- Stir until you have a ragged dough.
- At this point you can start kneading your dough.
- Add the remaining flour/seed mixture 1- 1 1/2 cups at a time until you have all of it kneaded together evenly.
- Place the bread dough in an oiled bowl.
- Cover with wax paper sprayed with oil and a damp tea towel.
- Place in a warm spot for 1- 1 1/2 hours or until it has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and divide in two equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a bun and place each into an oiled bread pan.
- Cover these with the waxed paper and tea towel.
- Let rise for an additional 20 minutes.
- Place loaves in a preheated 450 degree oven.
- After 10 minutes, reduce to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack.