Flax Seed Bread (Bread Machine)
I saw flax seed at the grocery and bought it without any idea of what to do with it. I found out that flax seed contributes fiber and omega-3s to the diet. Even better, it made this delightful, speckled loaf with a nutty flavor. Wonderful as is or toasted.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast (1 envelope)
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flax seed meal (ground flax seed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- Place ingredients in your bread machine as directed by your manufacturer.
- Set to dough cycle. Check the consistency after about 10 minutes - if it looks dry, add a little more water.
- After initial rise, remove, shape in a large round loaf (or whatever you like), let rise again on a cornmeal dusted baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. If desired, brush loaf with an egg wash (one egg beaten with 1 tbl. cold water). Slash loaf with sharp knife. Place in oven. After 15 min., reduce temperature to 350 deg.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes or until loaf is done - an instant thermometer should read 205 deg.
- Turn onto cooling rack and let cool.
- Note: If using flax seed, 2/3 cups seed will grind into 1 cup flax meal.
- Note2: If using egg wash, you may also sprinkle loaf with whole flax or poppy seeds.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This loaf of bread is fantastic. I never made flax seed bread before. I did what Duonyte did. I bought the flax seed (at my little Polish market) then came home to find recipes. This is the recipe for us! This is certainly not a sweet bread but it sure does have a wonderful flavor. I made this bread exactly as written. I will definitely make this again. Delicious and healthly!!!Reply