Recipe by TasteTester
This is a great and delicious way to use summer squash. Makes a nice presentation, especially if you top it with a small amount of chopped green onions (green part only), or a little sprinkling of sweet paprika. It is also a prep-ahead dish, if you wish, which makes it so convenient. It is so good -- hope you like it as much as our family does.
Top Review by Keyairah's Ama
My nephew even ate some of this and I don't think he knows what a vegetable is! I actually made mine more like a casserole. I diced all of the squash (I used small ones but would de-seed bigger ones for this), mixed everything together (used red pepper - not green and bacon bits - instead of cooking bacon). Since I was cooking on the grill, I put in a foil pan, covered and cooked at the same time with Greek Marinade (#28150) chicken and herbed corn (#66258). Excellent use of all those darn squash from the garden.
- 1 lb large summer squash (if you can't find large ones, then use more smaller ones so the filling won't spill out)
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, finely minced
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and finely crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook squash in boiling water 10-12 minutes. Let cool a little and then slice lengthwise. Scoop out pulp.
- Add remaining ingredients to pulp and mix well. Fill squash with mixture, and then place each squash half in a baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven.
- Note: May be prepared up to 3 hours ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to bake.