Recipe by Pietro
The famous Insalata di Mare. I have received so many requests to publish this version. This is for a large gathering but you can alter the amount to suit your occasion. This is really delicious recipe!
- 250 g prawns
- 250 g baby calamari
- 1000 g mussels
- 1000 g clams
- 1 red bell pepper
- 60 g kalamata olives, olives. pitted
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the vinaigrette. Combine salt to taste with lemon juice. Whisk until salt is dissolved. Whisk in olive oil in a steady trickle until mixture is emulsified. Season with pepper.
- Cut calamari into small pieces and cook together with prawns in boiling water. Cook for just a few minutes or until prawns change colour. Do not overcook.
- Steam mussels and clams in a covered pot, shaking the pot from time to time. Discard any shells that do not open. Remove mussels and clams from shells and drain on paper towels.
- Blister the red pepper on an open flame until it is black all over. Place in a bowl and secure with plastic wrap and let it "steam" for about 10 minutes. Remove from bowl. Rub off outside skin. Cut in half, remove seeds and cut pepper into thin strips.
- Combine all seafood together in a shallow bowl. Add pepper strips, olives and capers.
- Pour the dressing over and toss well. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Tip. It is better to use fresh seafood and prepare it yourself. If you want to save time, you can use prepared seafood.