Recipe by English_Rose
This recipe is perfect for lazy evenings when you want something light and tasty.
Top Review by Danzerob
Absolutely fabulous recipe and so quick and easy. If a 72 y.o male can do it anyone can. I just made 2 minor changes. I finely diced and onion and sweated it off with the garlic and I used a can of diced tomatoes instead of tomato sauce
- 4 lbs mussels (or a combination of both) or 4 lbs clams, cleaned (or a combination of both)
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 8 ounces peeled raw shrimp
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato sauce
- 2 ounces basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 ounce parsley, leaves only, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the mussels and/or clams in a saucepan and pour in the wine. Cover tightly and cook over a high heat for a few minutes, shaking the pan occasionally until all the shellfish have opened - discard any that do not.
- Strain through a sieve reserving 2/3 cup of the cooking water - not the bottom part where the grit is. Remove the meat from the shells and reserve.
- Meanwhile cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions until al dente.
- While the spaghetti is cooking heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan, add the garlic and chili and saute for 20 secs. Tip in the shrimp and saute for a further minute.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and the reserved cooking liquor. Bring to a gentle simmer, then stir in the cooked shellfish, basil and parsley. Season to taste and allow to just warm through.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and return to the pan. Pour in the seafood sauce and fold together until well combined. Serve at once.