Prep 48 hrs
Cook 0 mins
- 750 ml fresh strawberries, stemmed and washed
- 375 ml sugar
- 500 ml vodka
- 250 ml water
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 5 ml orange zest
- 5 ml fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Crush strawberries and sugar together in a bowl.
- Let stand for about 1 hour.
- Transfer to a clean 2 L container and add vodka, water, lemon zest, orange zest, and lemon juice.
- Cover and let stand in a cool, dark place for 2 days, shaking frequently.
- Use a fine-mesh strainer to strain out solids.
- Transfer liqueur to clean container, cover and let stand for 1 week.
- Rack or filter into final container.
- Age for at least 1 month before serving.
- Yield: 1 litre.
- Tip: Strawberries are easily bruised and mould quickly.
- When making cordials with strawberries, it is important to use only fresh, ripe, unbruised fruit.
- If berries have green tips or bruises, cut off these parts before using.