This recipe came from my mother's collection. It's such wonderful comfort food! *Note* Never boil a cream based soup. Heat it just to the boiling point, then remove from heat. Boiling it will cause your soup to curdle.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 lb russet potato, baked (about 3 medium)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced green onion
- Melt butter in large heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually stir in broth and heavy cream.
- Scoop potato pulp from one potato; mash. Add pulp to broth mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture just comes to a boil.
- Dice remaining potato skin and potato(es); add to soup. Heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper. Top each serving with bacon, cheese and green onion.