Recipe by Irishcolleen
This recipe came from my mother's collection. It's such wonderful comfort food! *Note* Never boil a cream based soup. Heat it just to the boiling point, then remove from heat. Boiling it will cause your soup to curdle.
Top Review by Breezytoo
What an easy to put together and tasty bowl of soup! I did make a couple changes ~ used Land O Lakes fat free half & half in place of the heavy cream to reduce the fat and only used a couple slices of bacon for the entire pot and it was very satisfying! Having your potatoes baked ahead of time is a real time saver too. Thanks for sharing your recipe that we'll enjoy again! :)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 lb russet potato, baked (about 3 medium)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually stir in broth and heavy cream.
- Scoop potato pulp from one potato; mash. Add pulp to broth mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture just comes to a boil.
- Dice remaining potato skin and potato(es); add to soup. Heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper. Top each serving with bacon, cheese and green onion.