1/3 Photos of Scratch Pumpkin Pie
4 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Cheri B's Note:
This pie has an old fashion look and taste to it because I use a fresh pumpkin not pumpkin from the can. I make this recipe myself because I like squash and have always liked the smell of the jack-o-lantern as a child. I have also used an acorn squash. This is for the person who likes to "putter" in the kitchen. Yes, it's time consuming. This recipe will make one pie plus one quart pumpkin custard see directions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small fresh pumpkin, smaller is better, about 8-12 inches tall. 2 cups finished pumpkin per pie
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, if desired
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells
- 1Wash pumpkin, remove seeds,place in bowl and set aside,(more on seeds later).
- 2cut pumpkin into pieces small enough to fit into metal colander, or veggie steamer, place into large enough pot so colander fits into it, fill bottom with water (to your second knuckle) put tight lid on pot and bring to boil. When water is boiling reduce to a hard simmer. Fork test for doneness after 1/2 hour, check water level. Repeat every 15-20 minute until done-like your boiled potatoes.
- 3Drain water carefully, with clamped on lid and potholders.
- 4Set aside to cool. When cool, place skin side in palm of hand and remove pulp with spoon, spoon into bowl.
- 5If you want puree type pumpkin, put through sieve, food mill, blender, or food processor. I like mine using the hand potato masher, mashed well.
- 6Measure out 2 cups pumpkin for pie, put into bowl. Place the rest into freezer containers for later (2 cups for pies) pies and bread or cookies, or as a side veggie.
- 7Add in bowl sugar, salt, spices, eggs. Mix then carefully add milk and stir.
- 8Pour into pie shell, foil edges, and place on foiled, cookie sheet and bake 350°F for 50-60 minutes. Give knife clean test. If not clean, bake longer.
- 9Left over pumpkin pie mix I place into a greased 1 qt.oven proof dish and bake in a water bath like, custard.
- 10Pumpkin seeds keep the kids busy, let them clean them, do not worry about the strings this is there project. Soak over night in salt water. Heat oven to 300°F; melt some butter (2-3 tsp) on cookie sheet in oven. Place drained seeds on sheet and add pumpkin pie spices and sugar or cinnamon and sugar to taste. Stir every so often- 15-20 minutes, they will stick together, just mash out with your pancake flipper. After about 30-45 minutes they should be done. Give them the "crispy" test. Careful--the hot sugar will burn your fingers.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scratch Pumpkin Pie
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.1
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 109.4 mg
- Sodium 410.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 26.2 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: