Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
My best friend married a gent from Glasgow, and he gave me this recipe because he got tired of cooking it for me all the time! It's simple and savoury, and if you want a truly authentic Scottish meal, serve it with buttered peas.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packagebisto gravy mix (any gravy mix will do, but Bisto has a bit more flavor)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 -6 potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Brown ground beef and onion in skillet over medium heat. Drain fat.
- Make a small well in the center of the meat, and add the gravy mix and water.
- Stir until gravy boils and thickens.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Heat through and turn down to low to keep warm.
- Adjust the seasonings with more salt and pepper, if you like.
- With a ricer or a potato masher, mix the boiled potatoes with the butter, milk and salt to taste.
- Serve the meat with the potatoes. It's good with peas!
This was plain as is. I tripled the worcestershire sauce and turned it into a Sheppard's pie which was very good with garlicky mashed potatoes.