Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Juicy chunks of meat with potatoes and apples in a port of wine sauce.
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup red port wine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck steak, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced into rings
- 1 lb fully cooked veal sausage
- 4 large potatoes, washed and dried
- 2 medium green apples
- In a 4 qt casserole, mix tomato paste, port wine, salt and 1 1/2 cups water, set aside.
- Mix flour and 1/4 tsp dried thyme.
- Coat beef chunks with flour mixture.
- In 10-inch skillet over medium heat in hot oil, cook beef chunks until brown on all side.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place in tomato mixture.
- Cover and Bake at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 hour.
- Using the same skillet, add olive oil and cook onions until browned and tender, set aside.
- During last 15 minutes of baking the beef, cut veal sausage into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut unpeeled potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Cut unpeeled apples into thin wedges.
- Remove casserole from oven.
- Layer half of potato slices, half of sausage pieces, half of apple wedges.
- Repeat layering.
- With spoon, gently push mixture into liquid in casseroleuntil potatoes are completely covered with liquid.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp dried thyme.
- Cover and bake 1 1/4 hour longer or until beef and potatoes are tender.