Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Another recipe from the tesco magazine that I want to try
- 500 g stewing beef
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 225 g turnips or 225 g swede, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 6 tablespoons pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- ground black pepper
- 4 pints water
- Slice the beef into bite sized pieces. Place in a large saucepan with the bay leaf, bouillon cubes, seasoning and 2.3 litres/4pints water. Slowly bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1hour.
- Add all the vegetables and barley, then salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Return to the boil, cover and simmer for a further 1hour or until all the vegetables, barley and beef are really tender.
- Remove from the heat, remove the bay leaf. Skim off any fat which is floating on the surface. Adjust the seasoning to taste and stir in the parsley. Serve in bowls with crusty bread.
Made for PAC Spring 08 This is really very nice! The only thing I did'nt have was a Leek but next time I make it I will make sure to try it. Thanks for a delicious soup,Candy!