Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simple but delicious recipe that takes no time to make and can be quite diverse. Often before combining dry and wet ingredients, I separate the two in half by weight and then add the flavour (1/2 of what is listed in recipe) to create two different types of scones. The original recipe came from Company's Coming cookbook but was modified to suite personal preference.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 egg
- 3⁄8 cup milk
- In bowl 1, mix dry ingredients. Cut butter in until crumbly.
- In bowl 2, mix wet ingredients.
- Add one of the following options to the dry ingredients.
- Options: 1 cup sharp cheddar, cubed into 1 cm pieces; OR 3/4 cup sharp cheddar, cubed and 3 slices bacon, crisp and crumbled; OR 1/2 cup sharp cheddar, cubed and 1/2 cup ham, cubed; OR 1/2 cup frozen blueberries; OR 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and grated peel of 1 lemon OR 1/2 tsp lemon extract added to wet ingredients; OR 1/2 cup raisins; OR 1/2 cup dried cranberries & grated peel of 1 orange; OR 1/2 cup diced apples; OR 1/2 cup diced apples tossed with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Mix one of the option into dry ingredients. Make well in center and pour wet ingredients. Mix quickly by hand and pour onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead 1/2 dozen to ten times.
- Separate into 2 equal amounts. Create a ball and pat down. Score into 4 to 6 pie shapes.
- Brush with milk (optional) and bake at 425'F for 15 minutes. Turn heat off and leave oven door slightly ajar and leave scones in for another 5 minutes.
- Cool slightly and serve.