Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
On a recent trip to Austria, this simple cheese 'spread' was much enjoyed, spread on good black bread, between hearty swigs of beer, while waiting for our mains to arrive.
- 300 g ripe camembert cheese
- 300 g Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely minced
- 29.58 ml dry white wine
- 14.79 ml paprika (I have used smoked paprika at home with much success)
- pepper, freshly ground
- 14.79 ml chives, chopped
- Mash Camembert with fork and combine with cream cheese, mixing well. Mix cheese with onion, garlic, white wine, paprika and a generous amount of freshly-cracked pepper. Finally mix in chives.
I will give this recipe 4 stars, because I was so ancious to make it, that I used ingredients I had on hand. Brie instead of Camenbert and reduced fat cream cheese. The result is very tasty, but I know that Camenbert has a more pronounced taste, but I can't find ripe/soft camenbert here1 :-( Made for "More Tan Sauerkraut...Tag"
Yum! One of the best cheese dips of any kind I've ever made before! I halved the recipe and started by microwaving the cheeses for just 15 seconds to warm them up & make them easier to mash. I used one *large* shallot for the onion and a dry Gewurztraminer for the wine. I am enjoying this immensely, even as I type this! Thanks for sharing evelyn! [Made for the More than Sauerkraut and Dumplings! event in the German Etc forum]
Oh wow, what a great spread! The flavours work so well together and especially the paprika goes great with the camembert cheese. YUM! I used vinegar in place of the white wine, but other than that stuck to your recipe and loved it. I will definitely make this again, it is so good!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, evelyn!
Made and reviewed for the More than Dumplings and Sauerkraut event in the German forum March 2012.