Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
My father loved this! Great for people who don't like a curry too hot. Came from a good friend.
- 500 g pork sausage links
- 1 sliced carrot
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour (for thickening if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or 1 tablespoon treacle
- Fry sausages in pan until browned.
- Add veggies and apple; brown.
- Add curry, dried fruit, coconut and water.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add golden syrup and salt.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
This recipe may be copyrighted it was submitted by P,J.MacKenzie of Napier New Zealand for publication in The New Zealand Radio & Television Cookbook (1974) ISBN 0 600 072703 published by Paul Hamlyn Ltd.<br/><br/>The only reason I know this is I made this very dish two nights ago. <br/><br/> The dish is tasty although feel could do with some tweaking ... I used a can of coconut cream (no dried coconut) and I think drained pineapple would go well in this dish also . Also you need to keep a close eye on it during the simmer stage and has enough liquid.
I made this with a few variations - I used turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a few cloves, in place of the curry powder, and used sultanas instead of mixed dried fruit. It wasn't too bad, but due to my own error, the turmeric overpowered it a bit.