Recipe by Olha
Dromme, Unelmat, Drommer, Drommar These little cookies are so tender and light they virtually melt in your mouth. The dough is flavored with browned butter and with cardamom, a favorite baking spice thought Scandinavia.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄3 cup blanched whole almond
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy skillet, over medium-low heat, without stirring, melt the butter and allow it to brown (it should take about 15 minutes).
- Strain the browned butter through a fine sieve into a metal mixing bowl.
- Place over a bowl of cold water and chill until firm.
- Stir in the sugar, egg yolk, vanilla, cardamom, and salt.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slowly blend in the flour until the dough is well blended and smooth.
- Roll the dough into small balls, using about 2 measuring teaspoons of dough for each one.
- Place the dough balls on ungreased baking sheets.
- Dip the almonds into the egg white, then press one into the centre of each cookie.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the cookies are set but not yet colored.
- Transfer to a wire rack and dust with powdered sugar.
- Approximately 70 cookies.
- Scandinavian Feasts.