Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from the Favorite Recipes of a drill team from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It is a Czech Recipe, 1963. The recipe is one of many in our collection of cook books. The recipe originally called for 1 pound or 1 quart of tomatoes. Makes a good side dish.
- 4 slices toast
- 2 cans tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheese (your preference)
- Preheat oven to 375 degree.
- Cut 3 slices of toast into cubes.
- Mix tomatoes, chopped onion, sugar, salt and pepper together.
- Grease a casserole dish.
- Put in layers starting with cubed toast, then a layer of the tomato mixture, the toast, and then the tomato mixture.
- Top with the 1 slice of toast.
- Pour melted butter over the slice of toast.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Delicious & comforting side dish! This was easy to throw together - and looked great when I pulled it out of the oven. This is a very homey type of dish - perfect for a chilly night. The taste was very flavorful, despite a limited number of seasonings. Quite tasty, thanks!
This recipe is really, really good! I first saw Ina make something similar on her show but she used fresh tomatoes. Since I didn't have fresh, I found this recipe with canned tomatoes and gave it a go. Wow, was I surprised! Surprised only because cooked tomatoes as a side dish doesn't usually appeal to me. I was so skeptical that I made half the recipe and boy was I sorry. My husband loved it as well. I freeze leftover sandwich bread (heals and such) so I used Ina's method of toasting. She cuts the bread in cubes then tosses them in a pan with olive oil to coat and browns them there. I also added Panko bread crumbs with the cheese (Parmesan) and the butter for a topping. Thanks, Barb for posting! We will definitely be making this again! One question though, if you are out there... do you use diced and do you drain your tomatoes? I did.
This was ok. I think it had too much sugar for me, and I couldnt move past that. I followed this to a T and used garlic white cheddar as the cheese. I might make this again, but I will lower the sugar in it. Thanks