Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
i'm not sure where this recipe came from. my parents just always made it when i was growing up. one of my favourites. not a ton of ingredients, but still delicious.
- In skillet, break sausage into small pieces, brown lightly and drain well.
- place half of the potatoes in 2 quart casserole, sift flour over and sprinkle with half the salt.
- top with half the sausage and cheese.
- repeat with remaining potatoes, flour, salt, sausage and cheese.
- pour milk over all.
- cover and bake in 375 oven for 50-60 min or until potatoes are tender.
- Uncover and bake 10 min more. serves 4-6.
I actually just stumbled on this combination, by modifying ground beef and potato casserole (Ground Beef and Potato Casserole). I used 2 large russets, 3 Tbs flour, and 2 cups of milk, though. I also tossed in some celery and onion. I browned the sausage and added the flour to soak up the grease, then quickly added the milk and cheese over lower heat until it thickened into a cheesy sauce. I added 1 tsp of garlic powder (none fresh) and 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper as per #201218. I didn't realize that would make the sausage spicier! Threw all the potatoes in and poured the sauce over everything. Baked (covered) 40 mins, then topped it with 4 oz monterey jack and baked another 5-10 mins. This is a great recipe to play with. Thanks!