Recipe by NVirginian
Also known as French Potato Casserole,this recipe uses Gruyere cheese and is one of our favorites.Perfect for a dinner party or a potluck. You won't be disappointed!This comes from a Betty Crocker cookbook that I've had for years. Preparation and cooking times are approximate.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Delicious and so easy to make! I never make scalloped potatoes because I thought they were too time consuming, but this dish changed my mind. My only recommendations are to add a bit more salt, pepper and nutmeg. The gruyere really makes this dish! Thanks for the post! Made for Fall PAC, October, 2011.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 garlic clove, cut into halves
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1 2⁄3 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut unpeeled potatoes into thin slices to measure about 4 cups. Rub an oblong baking dish (10x6) with the cut garlic cloves and then brush with 1 tsp butter.
- Arrange the potatoes into 3 layers in the dish, sprinkling each layer with 1/3 each of the salt,nutmeg,pepper and cheese.
- Beat the eggs and half-and-half and pour over the potato slices. Dot with 1 T butter. Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven until golden brown and bubbly. (About an hour).