Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A favourite with our family.
- 2 cups cooked cubed ham or 2 cups farmers sausage
- 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- Arrange cubed ham in large casserole dish. Pile on sliced potatoes. Season potatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- For sauce: melt butter and saute onions and celery. Add flour and salt; cook and stir until it forms a paste. Remove from heat.
- Slowly whisk in milk and other ingredients. Return to heat to boil and thicken. Pour sauce over potatoes.
- Bake at 375F for about 2 hours.
Absolutely delicious! I did not cube the ham but just sliced off pieces that I layered in the bottom of my casserole dish. When baking, I covered the casserole for over and hour before removing the lid. Thanks for such a great recipe, CrystalB!
This was excellent. I made it just the way it reads except with a little less celery since I'm not overly fond of cooked celery. This made a great freezer meal as it reheats well.