Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This rich, green mellow oniony flavor makes this oil perfect to use on steamed vegetables, cold noodles or a simple Asian salad. The purpose of blanching the scallions is to intensify their color and to remove some of the raw flavor
- 2 cups water
- 2 bunches scallions, green tops only, save bottoms for other use
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup soy oil
- 1⁄4 cup dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare an ice bath.
- Place the water in a pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the scallion greens and blanch for 30 seconds.
- Drain the scallions and transfer them to the ice bath.
- When they are cool, drain and wring them out or press dry between two paper towels. Place the scallions, ginger, soy and sesame oils, salt and pepper in a food processor and process till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass container, cover and refrigerate up to 2 months.