Recipe by ChefWhiz
This is an easy, best-loved crock pot recipe.
Top Review by hungrykitten
At first I was disappointed because after 4 hours my split peas were still as hard as a rock. I turned the crockpot up to high for the last hour and the soup came out delicious! I especially liked the flavor of the smoked sausage. I think next time I will try high for 3-4 hours instead.
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, cut lengthwise into halves, then 1/2-inch pieces
- 25 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth (two 14 1/2oz. cans)
- 16 ounces dried split peas, sorted and rinsed (1 pkg.)
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage and cook 5-8 minutes or until browned; drain well.
- Put sausage and remaining ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on Low 4-5 hours or until peas are tender.
- Turn heat off and remove and discard bay leaf.
- Cover and let stand 15 minutes to thicken.