Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I tryed this recipe and they are quite good!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1 teaspoon regular white table salt
- pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- flour, for rolling in
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a casserole dish.
- Mix all 11 ingredients together.
- Form into 16 small balls.
- Roll in the flour.
- In a frypan in hot oil, brown meatballs on all sides.
- Place the meatballs in casserole dish.
- Sprinkle lightly with additional 2 TBSP flour.
- Add in the 1-1/2 cups tomato juice.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
I SO wanted to love these meatballs, I even made a double batch. I did add more garlic as was an option for the meatballs. And was so very hopeful with the seasonings the recipe included that they would be savory. They weren't, HOWEVER they had a fabulous texture and moistness to them. I would just adjust the seasonings to my taste. I sprinkled the cooked meatballs with the extra flour per the directions and when I peeked halfway through the cooking time the sauce was way too thick. So I added more tomato juice. With the tomato juice I added garlic and some italian seasoning to "jazz" the sauce up. It didn't help. Dh said it tasted like ketchup without the vinegar. I think maybe next time I would skip the flour and maybe use thinned down tomato soup and spices instead. The meatballs have mucho potential so I will make this again adjusting things more to my families taste.