Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this from a small lodge in Colorado on vacation; they served this every morning for breakfast with fresh fruit and vanilla yogurt. It's sweet, warm and sticks to your bones. Delicious!
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats (NOT instant)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (less at altitude)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 apple, peeled cored and chopped
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup dried cranberries (can also use other dried fruits, cherries, blueberries, etc.)
- Mix oil, sugar, and eggs, beat until yellow and glossy.
- Add remaining ingredients except fruit. Beat until well-mixed.
- Stir in fruit, pour in a greased 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake at 350F for approx 30 minutes.
- If the top gets too dark, stir during baking.
- Serve warm in a bowl, mixture will be crumbly, top with fresh fruit and yogurt.
This is a good start - but too sweet for my family's taste. In the future, I would try cutting the sugar in half and maybe substituting for something more natural like honey or maple syrup. Also, the recipe doesn't specify whether you should use sweetened or unsweetened coconut. We used sweetened, and it was too much, so I'd cut that in half next time, or use unsweetened, which would probably be best. And finally, I'd double or triple the apples. It's a good base recipe though, and deserves some more attempts.