Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
On a the SB diet, phase 3, you try to create meals that are big on flavor. My hubby (not a fan of crockery cooking) told me I needed to write this one down before I forgot how I did it!
- 3 -4 lbs chuck roast
- 1 (2/3 ounce) package Good Seasonings Italian salad dressing mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons freeze-dried basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dry basil leaves
- salt & pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) bag baby carrots
- 1 (12 ounce) package white button mushrooms, halved
- salt & pepper
- Cover both sides of roast with Italian dressing mix and place in crock pot.
- Sprinkle thyme and basil over top of roast.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Gently pour red wine and water over and around roast being careful not to wash the spices off the roast.
- Sprinkle minced garlic over the roast.
- Top roast with baby carrots and mushrooms.
- Finish with a little more salt and pepper.
- Set crock pot on high for two hours, and then low for five to six more. (Or on low for 8-10 hours.).
This was a lovely unique way of cooking a roast. Perfect for warm weather as it is lighter than a roast with potatoes and thick gravy. I sliced the beef and poured some of the juices over. Very, very tasty. The prep is quite easy and the flavor is great, can't get much better than that.
I put this in the crock pot over night because my roast was frozen. By the time I got home from work the next day it was done and falling off the fork. I added a few small potatoes and a little bit more water but otherwise kept to the recipe.
This was DELICIOUS!! I must admit, this was my maiden voyage with cooking pot roast. I have such fond memories of my grandmother's version that I haven't been able to bring myself to try my hand at it until this recipe... and in the crock pot, it couldn't have been easier! I substituted the Italian dressing mix for onion soup mix, and added an onion. I was also a bit more liberal with the wine (a la Julia Childs). It was fantastic. THANK YOU SO MUCH for an excellent recipe!! My grandmother would be so pleased :-)