Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is my 'ghetto' version of KathyP53 's Savory Bread Pudding. I did a lot of substitutes with what I had.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb chorizo sausage, no casing
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped bell pepper, any color
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek
- 12 hamburger buns, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb medium cheddar, grated
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies
- 16 large eggs, beaten well
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 dashes tapatio salsa picante hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 2 9x13 pans.
- In a medium bowl, toss together 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo, stirring occasionally.
- Add all vegetables and saute until tender.
- Place bread cubes in very large bowl. Add chorizo mixture and green chilis, toss until coated.
- Add unmixed cheeses in two additions, tossing well each time. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (kitchen aid bowl), beat eggs, half-and-half, Tapatio, salt and pepper until well mixed and frothy.
- Poor over bread/chorizo mix and fold until bread is mostly saturated. Turn into prepared pan. Level surface but do not 'smooth'.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes or until evenly puffed.
- Spread top with sour cream and sprinkle with mixed cheeses.
- Return to oven and bake 5 -10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve.