Recipe by canarygirl
A fun change from ordinary egg rolls, this chicken version with sauce is easy to prepare. These freeze well too! Prep time can be easily reduced using a food processor to grate the veggies and mix the filling.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2⁄3 cup finely grated zucchini
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated carrot
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage (to save time, buy packaged coleslaw mix)
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated ginger
- salt and pepper
- 1 (20 count) package egg roll wraps (may substitute small flour tortillas)
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl.
- Fill each wrapper with about 1/3 cup or more of the meat mixture.
- Roll up (burrito style) and seal edges with water (if using tortillas, seal with toothpicks).
- Heat oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium high heat and brown the roll ups for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Pour juice, honey and vinegar into a small sauce pan and heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Combine water and cornstarch, and add to juice mixture, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve hot roll ups with warm dipping sauce.