Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Eating Well- just sooo good! The orginal recipe was baked in a water bath, but I chose to skip that part-- I like the edges to get a little crunchy. If you want a softer option, bake the 8X8 pan in a 9X13 pan that has about 2-3 cups of water in it.
- 1 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 7 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 10 ounces frozen spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray an 8X8 pan.
- Whisk egg with milk, salt and pepper.
- Toss with the bread and set aside.
- Thaw and squeeze water out of spinach.
- In skillet, heat oil- and add onion and red pepper.
- Saute for about 5 minutes, then add mushrooms and garlic.
- Lower heat so garlic doesn't burn.
- Continue to saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and mix well and let cook about 5 minutes to remove any reamining moisture.
- Add the vegetables and 1/2 cup cheese to the egg/bread and toss well.
- Pour into prepared pan and top with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 50 minutes- then check to see if the center is set. Continue in 10 minute increments until set.
- (see above on optional water bath).
My husband was told by his Dr to eat spinach 3 days per week, I found and tried this recipe!<br/>It is easy to make, smells wonderful cooking and tastes Great!! Thanks for a great addition to our spinach menu !!!