Recipe by Bergy
Sweetbreads are a bother to prepare but are well worth the effort. Sweetbreads are the Thymus gland or pancreas of the animal. They are crisp on the outside and smooth inside when cooked right.
Top Review by Alan Leonetti
Sweetbreads can be found frozen in specialty stores. I recently purchased 1.5 pounds at $2.99 per pound, which is cheap. Also, it is not the pancreas. Sweetbreads are the thymus gland in the neck.
- 4 lamb sweetbreads or 4 veal sweetbreads
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 6 slices bacon, fried crisp & crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, mixed with the flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Put Salt& vinegar in a saucepan with enough water to cover the sweet breads, bring to a boil.
- Add sweetbreads, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Immediately drain and cover with cold water.
- Drain and cover with cold water.
- Remove all the membranes and tubes.
- Slice in half crosswise (you'll have 8 halves).
- Dredge in flower& garlic.
- Heat butter& oil in a skillet.
- Saute the sweetbreads until browned3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the bacon.