Fresh Veal Sweetbreads With Porcini Sauce & Carrot Salad
photo by Food.com
- Ready In:
For the Carrot Salad
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon shallot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 small assorted color heirloom carrots, Thinly Sliced, Crosswise
- 1 large bunch baby arugula
- 1 tablespoon capers, Drained
- 1⁄2 roasted red pepper, Julienned
For the sweetbreads
- 1 lb large veal sweetbreads, Poached, Peeled, Pressed
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour (for dredging)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped fine
- 1 small shallot
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, to cook and 4 tbsp. to baste
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 large sprigs thyme
For the salad:
- Put all ingredients, except oil, in bowl (if hand whisking) or food processor. While mixing slowly drizzle in oils until smooth and emulsified.
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl with 3-4 tablespoons dressing. Salt & pepper to taste.
For the sweetbreads:
- Heat Oven to 400 Degrees. Heat large heavy sauté pan. Season pressed sweetbread with salt and pepper, dredge in flour.
- Heat heavy sauté pan, add oil and 2 tablespoons butter, warm until butter melts. Add floured sweetbread, sear well on all sides – three minutes on each side – add remaining butter, rosemary and thyme – baste sweetbreads until firm – approximately four minutes. Remove to plate and keep warm.
- Add garlic and shallot to the same pan with residual butter. Add mushrooms and stir until brown. Deglaze pan with wine, add heavy cream and simmer until reduced by half.
- Divide sauce among four plates, slice sweetbreads, set on sauce and garnish with carrot salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!