Harry's Bar Ragu Bolognese
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 celery rib
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Chop the carrot, celery, and onion in a food processor fitted with a steel blade, or by hand.
- Heat half the oil in a skillet, add the chopped vegetables, and saute over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Tie the fresh herbs together to make a bouquet garni.
- Meanwhile, in a separate large skillet heat the remaining oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, let it cook until golden, about 30 seconds, then discard it.
- Add the ground meat, stirring frequently, until it is evenly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and the vegetable mixture, stirring until blended, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Raise the heat, add the wine, let it boil until it is almost all evaporated, and stir in the stock, salt and pepper, and bouquet garni, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
- If the sauce reduces too fast, lower the heat and add a few spoonfuls of stock or water.
- The sauce should not be too thick; it should pour from the spoon when it is done.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Makes about 6 cups.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Realtor in both Louisiana and Mississippi Cooking destresses me.